Monday, May 11, 2009

T43: Doing the Hulu

I'm not a big television watcher. I don't have cable. Up until this year, my husband would dutifully dig out the rabbit ears at the end of February so I could watch the Oscars. Other than that, there's not any Must-See-TV in our lives. When we want a fix of something, we check out a series from the library. Just like most of the books I read are things I find in the book drop, my movie/television watching is the same way: I check something in or out and add myself to the queue.

I have used Hulu before, to view a clip a friend sent me or to look up info for a devotion I'm working on. I use it like I use youtube: sporadically. I don't think it will change my television viewing habits, mostly because I'm not big on sitting in front of my computer and watching something. The convenience factor IS nice, knowing that wherever I am with a live Internet connection I have access.

I also don't think this will have a huge impact on television watching as a whole. With the onset of on demand movies, the ability to pause live tv through the miracle of TIVO and TIVO-type services, people are finding more ways to completely immerse themselves in their television at their own convenience. I remember how excited my mom was the first day she came home from work and was able to watch Days of Our Lives because the VCR had recorded it. Now the digital recording companion does it for her.

Rather, I view Hula and Hula type services as another option in finding the media you are looking for. Plus, I can watch movie trailers there. Woot.

PS-I now have my very own iPod shuffle. :)

No comments: