Sunday, March 30, 2008

T15: Gaming

I once dated a guy who was into Dungeons and Dragons. I could never see the fascination, he couldn't believe that I didn't want to take a role and get involved.

My feelings about D&D were revisited as I viewed the island tour for Second Life. When I saw that Thing 15 was all about gaming, I was thinking about some of my favorite time-wasters like SimSlots and Smack the Penguin. Not so. I like little, light hearted fun. I like games with no point and I guess I like games that lack a community. I'm not a role player. Ask my ex-boyfriend.

I struggle with online games and library computer access. I recognize that anyone can sign up for computer time and no person's hour is more important than another's. But when someone stops in because they need to fill out their unemployment information or access medical information or work on online job applications and they are unable to get time on the internet because someone is swabbing the deck on Puzzle Pirates, it seems unfair to me. The best I can do is suggest making an appointment for later or on another day and hope that the needs can be postponed.

As a librarian, it isn't my job to be a gatekeeper of internet access. I simply assign appointments on a first come, first serve basis. As long as the information isn't "net-nanny-ed", it's all good.

Speaking candidly though, some days I wish I could remove the role-player so the mom with a special needs child can access the most current treatment plans available. How can we provide information if our resources are tied up with gaming?

No comments: