Thursday, March 27, 2008

T14: Books

I'm on a mission to get these 23 things done. At the same time I'm trying to make sure I get the most out of this training thing. Whatever. This one was pretty easy.

LibraryThing is an online way to catalog personal libraries. I imagine it is great for a lot of people to organize their books and series and collections.

Two things about this thing.

#1: I had to start another account. I have officially lost track of the number of accounts I have and where they are all at. I know hotmail. I know google reader. So far, everything else has been forgettable.

#2: I was hard pressed to find five books to enter into my personal LibraryThing library. Don't get me wrong, I love books. I love to read them, hold them and look at them. I lug them around in my book bag. I have stacks of professional resources on the shelves of my office at the other job. My kids have bookshelves overflowing with green eggs and ham, talking spiders, twin detectives, bus-loving pigeons and bilingual explorers.

It's not that I don't personally use books; I just don't buy them for myself. I'm lacking in the book possessions.

I am a believer in libraries. The beauty of the library is that I don't have to store the books, dust the books or buy the books. I use, cherish and love, then I RETURN the books. If I miss the book, I check it back out or renew the book. I like it that way. I'm trying to simplify. I'm trying to de-clutter (I missed the Oprah special!).

And because I am so technologically savvy, I can use the online catalog my system provides and organize my "to be reads" and my "already reads".

But, because I am a task do-er, here. There are five random books taken from my tiny shelf and put into an online catalog. I could have added the Sex and the City Kiss and Tell Anthology, but some things are better hoarded to oneself.

No comments: