Sunday, March 9, 2008

T10:Wikis

You'll notice I skipped #9. Not by choice. I'm waiting for my security clearance to come and then I'll be a public document editing fool. Until then, let's talk about Wikis

Now here is some technology that I feel I can use. I surfed around several of the Wikis, even added my own line to the 23 Things pbwiki. I feel very accomplished.

I love the Book Lovers Wiki that Princeton public Library developed. This, to me, seems to be an excellent way to use this technology in a library. Maybe for next year's adult reading program...

The personal uses of this information also interest me. One of my fellow 23 Thing-ers suggested using it as a way to keep her spread out family in touch. This would be fantastic for planning reunions or other events. My youth group has a mission trip up and coming and a wiki could be helpful there. Even an event like planning the neighborhood garage sale could be simplified.

I'll have to set up my own soon. But first, I'll have to think of something to plan.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I personally like blogs for book lovers-type things, like for book clubs. That way not anyone can edit it, but anyone can leave comments and have discussions. And, you can integrate blog tools like polls to interact with users.

Here is one library's use of a blog:
http://www.wplbookclub.blogspot.com/

Wikis are cool and good ways to collaborate with people (I've used wikis in presentations with librarians at different institutions), but I'm not completely sold on book discussions on a wiki. I'm glad to see you got excited about it, though!

LeAnn Suchy
CMLE 23 Things Coach