Thursday, March 27, 2008

T12: In the news

I appreciate any resource that helps me to stay informed in the least amount of time possible. In theory, then, it would seem that social media sites would be right up my alley. And I'm not opposed to them. But really, it just seems to be one more step in my already complicated online life.

I work at a library. I handle a major daily newspaper everyday, so I can skim the headlines. I handle the weekly local paper, so I can skim the headlines. The library subscribes to several news and social magazines and again, I get the headlines. If something trips my trigger, I can look up more about it. And I have the greatest resource of all: people. Patrons come through the library, all with opinions, all with ideas, all with their own sources. Through them I get a more detailed explanation of the current event, social faux pas, the opinion column from the local liberal...

They are my social media site. As much as I love my computer, this is something better.

No comments: