Sunday, March 9, 2008

T11: Yummy

I think it was just all the photo sharing assignments that had me dragging my feet. I am way into all this social bookmarking. This stuff is way more my style.

So. del.icio.us is very cool. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed my little tutorial and subsequent visit. To be totally honest, I thought from the description that this experience would be a lot my magazine clipping experiences. Maybe you are like me: there's a great recipe, I have most of the ingredients, so I rip it out of the magazine and set it on the counter with the intention of adding the missing items to the grocery list and making the great recipe the next weekend. Of course this doesn't happen because I stop at the grocery store in a rush on my way home from somewhere, sans my list, and just get the milk-bread-bananas that I know I need. So then I get home, see the recipe on the counter, stick in the basket on the counter and promise to make it the next time I have 20 minutes to contemplate a menu.

Like that ever happens. It's a very full basket. And no, I'm not going to throw them away because someday I will make that fantastic looking pasta dish with the garlic pesto sauce.

So I imagined social bookmarking to be similar. I'd install the tools in my tool bar, tag a few sites and then promptly forget that they exist. The biggest advantage would be that there wouldn't be anymore clutter in my basket.

I couldn't have been more wrong. This concept is really going to help me organize my resources, which since I'm juggling 3 jobs, will help tremendously. Plus, research for my writing projects, sites for my kids, beekeeping info for my husband and all kinds of other great things.

As for libraries: social bookmarking could really help librarians disseminate information pertinent to the community. This is a great way for branches in systems to personalize service for patrons.

Wait and see. I'll have time to make that garlic pesto pasta yet. And when I finally do, I'll have to invite y'all over for dinner.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Yay! I'm glad you like del.icio.us and social bookmarking. Isn't it the best?! I've been using it for a long time now and it's a great way to store everything and access them anywhere.

LeAnn Suchy
CMLE 23 Things Coach