Tuesday, April 8, 2008

T19: Podcasts

Is it just me, or can you add anything to your Google account? Google, now with Podcasts too!

I listened to some very inappropriate humor via podcast and there were a few times that I did laugh out loud. Not gonna lie to you. And I couldn't believe the topics available. If I was interested in something there was a pretty good chance that there was a podcast about it.

This is good, but it presents the same problems that other online resources have. Anyone can have a blog, a podcast or a website. How can you be sure that you are getting accurate information?

As part of my interview and then training to be a librarian, I was informed that Google was not the best place to start looking for information. Because I am an educated person, I am able to tell the difference between a decent source and a poor one, so I believe that I am a careful connoisseur of internet resources. What about kids doing research?

"Well, I heard it on a podcast, so it must be true."

As with all things, not just technology, I am a firm believer in "just because you can, doesn't mean you should." I love the vast array of resources available. I love that everyone has a voice. But having a voice means having responsibility for it.

Off my soap box, back to the Blog prompts. I used Podcastalley and found it to be easy to navigate. I have no desire to create my own podcast, but right now, I have nothing to say that I think will benefit the world at large. That ability to censor myself has saved me on more than one occasion.

No comments: