Saturday, February 28, 2009

T29: Google Tools

I spent wwaaayyyyy too long on this one, although part of that was because I really really felt the need to make Google calendar part of my every day after my husband and I inadvertently triple booked ourselves: a concert, a ski lock-in and a rendevous with my inlaws.

But let's back up.

I gave Google alerts a shot and I do enjoy my daily updates for my search terms. I tried the "as it happens" approach to alerts and was immediately overwhelmed, so I cut back to once a day. That works. My update comes to me in the middle of the night and is patiently waiting for me in the morning. I pour a cup of coffee and filter through the new blog posts on my chosen topics.

This is saving me hours of research time, which frees space in my life for Egg Breaker, my current Facebook obsession.

I have suggested this tool to a few of our internet savvy patrons. I'm also using it to help out with the adult book club. Sort of that, while I find it to be a great tool personally, I'm still looking for its greater good uses at my branch.

Now. Google Calendar. There's a tool. My husband and I now have a shared calendar that serves as our family's center of information. We can both add and delete, which means we are both up to date on the current happenings in this house. With the hectic schedule we lead, it is proving to be helpful. The trick is keeping it updated, but I'm getting there. At least we shouldn't have a ski lock-in and a concert event the same day again.

Google calendar would be a great tool to promote library events, schedule changes and new releases too. Patrons could be invited to view a calendar, with the staff keeping it updated.

I'm finding this all very interesting, so far. I have some ideas that I may add to my anual review for goals, and some of these technologies could really go far.

No comments: