Sunday, April 26, 2009

T35: Books, books and books

Here's a novel concept, every pun intended: a look at books in library 2.0.

In my small town branch, I'd say we've seen an increase in all aspects of circulation. Books, audio, cd, dvd...the list goes on. I know there are studies about the effects of a struggling economy on library usage and i can see a correlation. But the conversations with the patrons are even more telling. The general consensus with the people I talk to is that there is just something about the feel of an actual book that the convenience of a kindle can't replace.

People like books.

I think the thing about Book 2.0 is that you can get out of it what you want.There's a tool for whatever you need, whether it is a suggestion of a new title or a way to organize your library or access to free books. The tools are there, if you are willing to dig around and figure out what you need.

I do not own many books. This reduction in my personal library was a part of my simplification and clutter reducing plan. Because of this, I don't feel the need to organize my library online. I also have no need for books on my phone. I have a basic, pay as you go cell phone that I only recently learned how to text from.

I did enjoy looking at the reader's advisory sites. As a librarian, I frequently get asked the question, "what should I read next?" I'm always on the lookout for another way to help people find the answer.

Bookcrossing is and interesting concept. I once register a dollar bill in the Where's George? to see where it ended up. I never heard back about it.

As with everything else, these Book 2.0 things are interesting and quirky and in the hands of the right person, could be very useful. Sometimes, though, you just want to read a book for the sake of entertainment.

No comments: