Friday, April 24, 2009

T32: Maps and Stuff

The map was fun to make. I liked adding the commentary. (Shocking, I know) In reading the blog prompts for this, I have to say I don't see a lot of library uses for the map mashups. I do see patron uses.

This is where I run into trouble.

Just last week I had a patron ask me for help in printing out a map for a bridal shower. This google mash up thing would have been perfect, had I know about it. And she and I could have had a great time marking landmarks, getting the icons in place and drawing in a route.

Unfortunately it would have been at the expense of the rest of my patron service.

Don't say it: I know it isn't my job to create these mash ups for patrons but rather to help them find the tools they need so they can create documents or whatever.

Right. The same way i should just be able to say hotmail.com and then they should be able to create their own email account.

There are some people who I can just give the information to and it is all good. Then there are the others. Maybe I'll just direct them to this tutorial.

No comments: