Friday, January 25, 2008

Thing 2

For those of you confused by the title of this post, it is important to note that creating a blog was Thing 1. Ta da! Mission accomplished.

Now, thing 2.

I've read several blogs, lurking around and getting glimpses into other people's lives. I find it interesting that almost without fail, there will be a long gap in posting and then a lengthy apology for not blogging sooner, but there hasn't been anything to say...

Fortunately, for people like me, there are blogging prompts. Thing 2 is supposed to be about my thoughts on the process of 23 Things on a Stick, when I'll find the time, what I hope to gain, etc., etc.

I'm a dabbler by nature. I know a little bit about a lot of things. If something interests me, I'll read up on it, maybe try my hand it and then file the information away. Generally, the more worthless the information, the more likely I am to recall it at an odd time. What interests me most about this adventure is that it encourages dabbling. I can get as much or as little out of this as I choose. I've had fun setting up this blog and importing my Avatar. While I don't know nearly everything there is to know, I know enough now to help other people do the same. And that's a start. That's kind of the point, in my mind.

Timing wise, I agree with this guy and his point: if it is important to me, I'll make time for it. If I can check my email a million times a day, I can certainly find the time to do a tutorial, to monkey around with flickr, to muddle through comments on my blog.

Right now, I believe I am very much a beginner in all things Library 2.0. I'd like that to change. I'd like to be able to speak intelligently, if not knowledgeably, about RSS and wikis. And if I can't be intelligent, I'd like to at least be able to fake it.

And if, through all this, I somehow figure out how to keep the cat off the counter, I'd say that's time well spent.

No comments: